Building gcc 4.6 without libiconv
Ian Lance Taylor
iant@google.com
Sat Jan 8 18:56:00 GMT 2011
John Marino <gnugcc@marino.st> writes:
> I'm trying to build gcc 4.6 without libiconv. My understanding is
> that this library is only required for nls support and the java
> frontend. I'm configuring with --disable-nls and I'm not building the
> java language.
>
> I've tried --without-libiconv-prefix
> I've tried --with-libiconv-prefix=no
> I've tried setting with-libiconv-prefix to a directory where libiconv
> doesn't exist.
>
> Yet the gcc/configure script keeps picking up -liconv. It exists in
> the same library directory as libmpc, libmpfr, libgmp.
>
> So my questions are simple:
>
> 1) can somebody confirm libiconv isn't needed beyond nls and java?
> 2) Is so, why is configure script still looking for it if those
> options are disabled?
> 3) if so, short of patching the configure script, how can gcc be told
> to not link libiconv.so even if it finds it in a standard location?
gcc will use iconv, if available, even if --disable-nls is used, to
support the -finput-charset option. So the behaviour is as expected.
Is it causing a problem?
Ian
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list