4.5.2 doesn't build due to wrong jar-usage (gcj)

Oliver Kullmann O.Kullmann@swansea.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 20:10:00 GMT 2011

> >configure: error: cannot find neither zip nor jar, cannot continue
> >make[2]: *** [configure-target-libjava] Error 1
> >make[2]: Leaving directory
> >`/compsci/saturn/staff/csoliver/OKplatform/ExternalSources/builds/Gcc/gcc-4.5.2_build'
> >make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> >make[1]: Leaving directory
> >`/compsci/saturn/staff/csoliver/OKplatform/ExternalSources/builds/Gcc/gcc-4.5.2_build'
> >make: *** [gcc] Error 1
> >make: Leaving directory
> >`/compsci/saturn/staff/csoliver/OKplatform/ExternalSources'
> >
> >jar exists (also unzip, but not zip), however it thinks it is wrongly used?
> >The requirements page of gcc only says that "jar or zip" is needed, and
> >nothing
> >is said about version-numbers of jar?
> >
> >Apparently jar doesn't follow the usual Unix-tool standards, so you can't
> >ask
> >it (apparently) about its version or for help. Since I don't use jar, I
> >don't
> >know what to do here.
>
> This should be autodetected.  The problem usually occurs when gcc has been
> configured, and then something goes wrong, and then make is restarted.  The
> usual cure is to blow away the libjava directory and start again.

I don't understand: Nothing was restarted, but this is just the complete build?

Or is it related to me doing (repairing) something in the build directories?
That would be rather difficult, since this is part of our package, which
needs to be installed automatically by the user.

Oliver