Help with gcc partial link (option -ar)

Andi Hellmund mail@andihellmund.com
Tue Feb 22 18:46:00 GMT 2011


> Ian, if that option did not exist I would have recevied an error message on
> the command I issued, wouldn't I?
>    
It does for my 3.4.6 version:

# ./gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.6
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

# ./gcc -ar test.c -c
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-ar"


And I can't find it in the official GCC documentation for 3.4.6, though 
maybe Ian is right that vanilla GCC doesn't know about an -ar option.

Maybe, your version is somehow "patched"?

Andi
>
>
> Cedric Roux-4 wrote:
>    
>> On 02/22/2011 04:47 PM, horseloverFat wrote:
>>      
>>> Thanks a lot for your help,
>>> yet I already tried that, but simply running "ar" doesn't seem to
>>> generate
>>> the appropriate output for the
>>> final link stage.
>>>        
>> How does the link stage fails? what errors do you get?
>>
>>
>>      
>    



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list