Prohibit enum <-> int mixup

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming@digium.com
Tue Feb 1 20:42:00 GMT 2011


On 02/01/2011 01:43 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Kevin P. Fleming"<kpfleming@digium.com>  writes:
>
>> Well... based on Paolo's reply, that's quite concerning. Does this
>> mean that distros need to provide two compiled versions of libstdc++
>> and the compiler wrapper will need to select the proper one to link
>> against based on whether --std=c++0x was used or not? This could have
>> major ripple effects as well, as various other C++ libraries (Boost,
>> etc) will have to be compiled in both modes as well.
>
> Yes, I think there is a serious issue here.  There are various forces
> pushing toward breaking the libstdc++ ABI.  I do not know what the
> libstdc++ maintainer's plans are.

I guess I was more concerned about having to have two versions of the 
library installed for the *same* compiler than about having ABI breakage 
at all. Obviously the latter is not ideal either, but it seems like it 
would be manageable. The former just sounds like a nightmare waiting in 
the wings :-)

-- 
Kevin P. Fleming
Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming@digium.com
Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list