FW: Huge binaries

Hite, Christopher Christopher.Hite@partner.commerzbank.com
Wed Feb 23 10:39:00 GMT 2011

> > So it seems to be something in g2, but not in g1.  Is there anything

> > else I can turn off?

> I don't think so.

I'm guessing it's all the classes being define, but never instantiated
like int_<1>, int_<2>, boost::mpl::list<...> etc.  They aren't used
"indirrectly" like (T*(p))->field.

I do have a lot of:
template<...>
struct X{
	static void foo();
};

> For your case (C++ with heavy template usage) gcc 4.6 will do a much
better job of eliminating duplicate debug info when using -gdwarf-4.
> But I don't think there is much else you can do until 4.6 is released.

Cool!  How far away is that?  Looks close.

If I lock the process into memory is does it lock the debug info into
memory too?
mlockall(MCL_CURRENT|MCL_FUTURE)

Perhaps I can run a stripped binary in production and then analize it's
cores with the unstripped version.  Will that work?

Thanks for your help.

Chris