Error when compiling gcc-4.4.6 in linux

kevin diggs diggskevin38@gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 21:22:00 GMT 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Watson, Christa
<CWatson@memory.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have tried to compile gcc-4.4.6 on my computer with a scientific linux OS.  I successfully compiled and installed gmp-5.0.2, mpc-0.9, and mpfr-3.1.0.  However when I run the make command for the gcc I get this error:
> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in `/usr/local/contrib/build/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc':
> configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
> See `config.log' for more details.
> make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/contrib/build'
> make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/contrib/build'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> I have read the section in the manual on known troubles and did not find it there.  Will you please advise me on how to overcome this error?
>
> Thank you very much!!
> Christa
>
> P.S. You have probably already surmised that I am not a computer expert, so layman terms, as much as possible, would be very much appreciated!

Hi,

If you built dynamic versions of the prereqs then you need to make
sure the dynamic linker (ld.so or whatever it is called) can find them
at run time. See the man page for ldconfig. Maybe you need to edit
/etc/ld.so.conf?

I've always found this "feature" confusing, too (to?).

kevin