dlsym() fails with an executable shared library

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Thu Dec 8 05:58:00 GMT 2011

Mayank Kaushik <mayank.utexas@gmail.com> writes:

> gcc -Wall -W -fPIC -shared -o library.so test.c -lc -Wl,-e,my_main

This is a workable approach, but my_main must act as the entry point of
the program.  The entry point is not called with argc and argv.  Take a
look at crt1.o on your system to see what the entry point must do.

> gcc -fPIC -fPIE -pie -o library.so test.c

That does not make a shared library.

> This can read arguments fine, but dlsym() fails:
>
> ./library.so: undefined symbol: my_func

You can probably fix that problem by linking with -rdynamic.

Perhaps we should ask: why do you want an executable shared library?

Ian