an inconsistency in generated code?

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Wed Aug 17 04:25:00 GMT 2011

Pavel Tolkachev <paultolk@yahoo.com> writes:

> This certainly works for my original problem. But my question is why
> gcc is kind of changing its mind as it generates the code for the
> functions I sent in my original post -- it just seems illogical.

gcc's optimizations interact in fairly complex ways.  I haven't looked
at this particular case, but it is not surprising that gcc does not act
as you predict.  If you are interested I would encourage you to look
into the problem.  Using -fdump-tree-all and comparing dumps is often a
good way to find out what is happening.

Ian