gcc return struct code generation
jose gomez valcarcel
jcgv33@yahoo.es
Tue Aug 30 17:31:00 GMT 2011
Hi,
Thank you for your time, sir. I think the better option is to rearrange my code and forget this issue.
For curiosity, today i test this code with the intel compiler (12.0.5.220). It generates this code for fn:
icc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -c z.c
0000000000000000 <fn>:
0:56 push %rsi
1:e8 00 00 00 00 callq 6 <fn+0x6>
6:48 03 c2 add %rdx,%rax
9:59 pop %rcx
a:c3 retq
Yo can see the code changes the values of registers RSI and RCX with apparently no reason ! (appart of computing correctly the c code of fn).
Also this code uses stack with apparently no reason, or i can not see it.
Regards.
Jose.
----- Mensaje original -----
De: Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>
Para: jose gomez valcarcel <jcgv33@yahoo.es>
CC: "gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Enviado: martes 30 de agosto de 2011 15:12
Asunto: Re: gcc return struct code generation
jose gomez valcarcel <jcgv33@yahoo.es> writes:
> I also think is a bug, but i'm not sure. My toy kernel has no assembly (.S) files, but of course it has c functions with
> inline assembly. My context switch function it's a c funtion (yes i know there are better ways of doing this) with some
> inline assembly code first to save context, some c code, and then some assembly code to restore context and do 'iret'.
> It works only if the C code doesn't touch the rsp, because I 'intercept' the end of the function.
>
> I known that is 'questionable' code, but the real question is that i expect that this simple C code not to touch RSP with optimizations
> enabled in x86_64. I got surprised. Note that you point of stack aligned on 16 byte boundary is irrelevant, because it has to be aligned
> on 'fn' entry call.
I see. The stack alignment is not irrelevant if your function callls
any other functions, because the function will have to adjust for the 8
byte return address pushed on the stack by its caller. If that is an
issue you can use the -mpreferred-stack-boundary option to compensate.
Of course you need to make sure that the stack pointer is correctly
aligned before returning to any regular C code.
Ian
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list