Would it make sense to have sysroot come from an environment variable?
Bryan Ischo
bryan@ischo.com
Fri Aug 26 21:51:00 GMT 2011
On 08/26/11 14:42, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Bryan Ischo<bryan@ischo.com> writes:
>
>> On 08/26/11 13:56, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>>> Bryan Ischo<bryan@ischo.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> Thank you for your reply. So just to be clear, are you saying that I
>>>> would configure gcc --with-sysroot=DIR, and then at runtime I can do:
>>>>
>>>> $ mv DIR DIR.moved
>>>> $ /some/random/path/to/gcc
>>>>
>>>> And that gcc, which was installed in a place that had nothing to do
>>>> with DIR, will somehow know that I moved DIR? How does it do that?
>>> Yes, that is what I am saying. The key is that gcc itself is under
>>> DIR--it's in DIR/bin. It looks at argv[0] to see where it was run from.
>>>
>>> Ian
>> Now I'm really confused. My example doesn't have gcc under DIR; it's
>> under /some/random/path/to/gcc. sysroot is for header files and
>> libraries, or at least that's how it's described in all documentation
>> I have read. Here is what the gcc manual says about --sysroot:
> I'm sorry, you're quite right. I was confusing two different ideas.
>
> --sysroot points to an existing directory which holds header files and
> libraries.
>
> --prefix is what I was thinking of. gcc is installed in ${prefix}/bin,
> and the ${prefix} directory can be moved around at will.
>
> You can use the --sysroot option with gcc to specify the sysroot at
> runtime. There is no environment variable for that, though.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Ian
No problem, thanks for the clarification. I think my original question
then still stands, which is, rather than having to pass --sysroot to
every toolchain command (binutils needs this too, right?), would a
single SYSROOT environment variable make more sense?
Thank you,
Bryan
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list