Automatically testing gcc

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis@gmx.net
Sat Aug 13 01:09:00 GMT 2011

Hello list,

I've two questions regarding testing:

First, how can I make sure that my change did not affect code generation
at all? Ideally I would like to run the test-suite on trunk, then on the
patched version, and diff all object files. Is there an automated way?

Also is it guaranteed that two runs on all testsuite will always produce
the same code? Or are there maybe some passes that don't guarantee
determinism?

Second, given that I made a tiny change in the logic, can I make sure that
there is no case that would generate worse code? Is there automated way
for that? Does it involve benchmarking or somehow measuring code quality?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris