GCC 4.5.1: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby@onetel.net
Wed Sep 8 03:09:00 GMT 2010

On 09/ 8/10 01:44 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Dr. David Kirkby"<david.kirkby@onetel.net>  writes:
>
>> IMHO, it would be very sensible if gcc had an option to configure such
>> that the location of the run-time libraries was hard-coded in. Then,
>> as long as "gcc" is in the path, the libraries would be found.
>>
>> This issue seems to come up time and time again. Some think that's a
>> bad idea -
>> but I think giving people the choice with an option to configure would
>> be a good idea.
>>
>> I've tried arguing for this on the gcc bug database, but I've never got anywhere.
>
> It is a design goal that gcc always be able to find its libraries if you
> move the installation tree as a whole.

But that does not happen. gcc often can't find it's libraries, which is why
there are so many reports of "cannot compute suffix of object files".

I would like to be able configure gcc such that it goes into a directory of my
choosing, and can find its libraries, without resorting to setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> Your proposal would provide a
> different functionality: you would be able to move the gcc binary by
> itself, without moving the runtime libraries, and it would work.  But
> you can already do that by using a one line shell script to invoke the
> installed gcc.  So this does not seem to me like a useful feature to add
> to the gcc sources.
>
> Ian

I'm not interested in moving the gcc binary without moving the gcc libraries.
That would not be so useful.

When I use the Sun compiler, it installs in /opt/sunstudio12.1. I never have to
concern myself about the libraries - they are just found automatically. but
/opt/sunstudio12.1 is not added to the linker search path.

Here's my linker search path:

drkirkby@hawk:~$ crle

Default configuration file (/var/ld/ld.config) not found
   Platform:	32-bit LSB 80386
   Default Library Path (ELF):	/lib:/usr/lib  (system default)
   Trusted Directories (ELF):	/lib/secure:/usr/lib/secure  (system default)
drkirkby@hawk:~$

But gcc is a lot more messing around.

Dave