Cannot build GCC for Cortex-M0

Andriy Sukhynyuk asukhynyuk@yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 06:29:00 GMT 2010

Hi guys,

Sorry Ian, I was trying to narrow the case as much as possible.

Actually, the trouble is that build process still generates ARM code even though

it was configured with option --with-cpu=cortex-m0 and multilib disabled.

Alas, I managed to build GCC for the target using the following args:

../gcc-4.5.0/configure --target=arm-none-eabi --with-mode=thumb
--with-cpu=cortex-m0 --prefix=/f/cross-gcc/4.5.0 --disable-nls --disable-shared
--disable-threads --with-gcc --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --with-dwarf2
--enable-languages=c --disable-interwork --disable-multilib --with-newlib
--with-headers=../../newlib-1.18.0/newlib-1.18.0/newlib/libc/include
--disable-libssp --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libmudflap --disable-libgomp
--with-gmp=/f/cross-gcc/4.5.0 --with-mpfr=/f/cross-gcc/4.5.0
--with-mpc=/f/cross-gcc/4.5.0 -v

Well, I would rather agree that it would have been silly to expect scripts to be

as intelligent as to switch _default_ mode to thumb automatically by reading
--with-cpu=cortex-m0 and --disable-multilib.

Here I must thank Richard for a hint which could spare me a day had I not
laboriously worked it out alone :-(

Still I cannot figure out how to add Cortex-M0 support with multilib enabled. By

default libraries for armv6-m are not built. I have to include interworking
support as well.

It looks like to build GCC with multilib enabled, one has to edit
\gcc-4.5.0\gcc\config\arm\t-arm-elf file.

Well I spent yesterday and could not find how to do it. It all ends up in error
trying to compile test file with -march=armv6-m but without -mthumb.

Is it possible to build multilib in one step or I should perform many builds and
later copy libraries to appropritae folders?