inline bug (?)

jorge.perez@invia.fr jorge.perez@invia.fr
Thu Nov 18 09:31:00 GMT 2010

Thans for your comments guys, I'll follow your suggestions and try other examples and test additional options as well.

I forgot to precise however that I used the option -os (optimizing for size)

Regards

Jorge

In addition to the comments from Eric:
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 06:53:28PM +0100, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > I appreciate any feedback or suggestions you have about this, maybe I'm
> > doing it all wrong from the begining, but the fact that inline increases
> > the size of the code was weird to me.
>
> The inlining heuristics are complex and tuned for real programs, so it's
> probably easy to fool them with toy examples.  Modifying them generally
> requires a lot of retuning efforts so isn't a small undertaking.
If you are not happy with the way gcc inlines "by default", you can
influence the inlining heuristics by many parameters / compile options,
like: large-function-insns, large-function-growth,
inline-unit-growth,...
There is a long list in the manpage ;-)

Axel