Why do floating point operations differ between -m64 -O0/-O1 and -m32 -O0?
Bob Plantz
plantz@cds1.net
Wed Nov 24 21:40:00 GMT 2010
On 11/24/2010 7:08 AM, Tim Prince wrote:
> It depends. For Intel CPUs, there is no performance gain for single
> precision scalar operations, other than divide and sqrt, where SSE
> performance could be matched by the (impractical) setting of 24-bit
> 387 precision. Current CPUs (and compilers) support vectorization
> performance gain over a wider variety of situations than early SSE CPUs.
>>
>> It's not that I don't want the excess precision (looks like a Good
>> Thing to me; less rounding errors). It's that I'm not sure if I can
>> count on it being there. Would the above routine be a good enough
>> check to see whether excess precision is there?
>>
> The consistently reliable way to use x87 80-bit precision is with long
> double data types. This precludes many important optimizations.
>
I'm not a Windows programmer, but I ran across this:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff545910(VS.85).aspx <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff545910%28VS.85%29.aspx>
which may raise some concerns about portability of code.
--Bob
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list