Bad inlining because of "throw"

John Fine johnsfine@verizon.net
Fri Nov 12 02:08:00 GMT 2010

I wonder whether it would help to give the cold attribute to that
constructor.  From the documentation:
The paths leading to call of cold functions within code are marked as
unlikely by the branch prediction mechanism.

Having the branch predictor know which path is likely ought to at least
help branch prediction.  A really smart optimizer would de-inline the
cold blocks of an inlined function.  I doubt that GCC is that
sophisticated, but maybe it is worth trying it and looking at the
generated code.

Probably de-inlining your cold block requires the extra function you
added.  If speed is more important you would want that function to have
the cold attribute so the branch would be predicted correctly and so
that the call to the extra function wouldn't pollute the L1 cache.