prefix, etc. with dollar or tilde?

Jay K jay.krell@cornell.edu
Tue May 25 19:54:00 GMT 2010

[plain text this time]

> Real VMS support probably requires redefining

Right, now I realize a bit more.
Tristan gave me a big clue: "define VMS logical GNU".
I didn't mean the current directory necessarily, but the directory of the executable.
  In my example I admit I conflated them.

I can probably get close with -prefix=bindir=libdir=libexecir=includedir etc.
though I don't think that fully flattens things (would still have lib/gcc/4.5.0).

Nevermind though, I just have to fixup things in the existing supported way.

"~" could stand for having gcc getenv("HOME") at runtime.
But nevermind.

The VMS mechanism is actually very flexible I just didn't/don't understand it well.

Thanks,
 - Jay