ideal visibility setting?

Jay K jay.krell@cornell.edu
Thu May 20 10:40:00 GMT 2010

Ian, I don't have to use -fPIC and go through GOT/PLT, in case my code will end up in a .so?
 Well, it looks like you can do that -- omit -fPIC -- but then you get TEXTREL, not good.

You know, x86 already has the ip-relative 0xE8 opcode.
I'd like to just use that, directly to the function, have the linker generate a stub if it ends up imported (using GOT/PLT).
But still whatever more complicated stuff is needed to reference data without TEXTREL.

Thanks,
 - Jay