FW: gcc4.4.1 related doubt

David Daney ddaney@caviumnetworks.com
Fri Mar 26 23:37:00 GMT 2010

On 03/26/2010 01:05 PM, Brian Budge wrote:
> Doesn't it seem like fixing the broken scripts might be better?

Probably you are right.

> And if not, why not?

No good reason that I can think of.

I would note, that the current Linux kernel HEAD does not suffer this
problem.  There was however a window between when the bogus warning
messages were added to the kernel build scripts and the release of a GCC
version that triggered the issue.  Once the kernel hackers realized
there was a problem, they fixed it.  People using the kernel versions in
the window either have to use older GCCs or fix their build scripts if
they don't want to see the messages.

Fixing the kernel build scripts is not difficult, but I forgot what I
did, so it is left as an exercise for the enterprising reader.

David Daney