unresolved relocation??

Iain Worlock iworlock@jigsawtech.com
Wed Jun 9 00:59:00 GMT 2010

Hi.  I'm new around here.

I am using QNX4 / gcc 2.91.66 (EGCS 1.1.2) to compile some libraries
which were ported to QNX6 / gcc 3.3.5, so I expected to have to do
some work to get everything running OK.

The Makefile gives the following gcc cmd line:  gcc -Wall -std=c99
-fPIC -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -c -g -I ./include/

The flag '-std=c99' was not recognised, but as gcc 2.91.66 is pre 1999
I didn't find that surprising & removed this.  The real problem I have
is that a few files in to the compile, I get an 'Error: unresolved
relocation' in a temporary asm file (/tmp/XYZ.s).  If I remove the
-fPIC flag (position independent code), compilation goes a little
further but fails on link.  As I am trying to build a library, I'm
assuming that I actually do want to specify -fPIC, but have no idea
what the unresolved relocation is referring to, or how to resolve it.

I would be hugely grateful for any help I can get with this - I am
happy to post up any extra information that you might need,

Iain