[GCC front end] trying to install sample_fe but fail in make

Andi Hellmund mail@andihellmund.com
Fri Jun 4 15:46:00 GMT 2010

Hey,

> I try to install "sample_fe" following the steps described in Andi Blog :
> http://blog.lxgcc.net/?p=181

Thanks for trying this :-) And thanks for catching this silly mistake!

> I put the sample_fe in the gcc directory (whith the other fe directory :
> java, cp, ...)
> I configure with ./configure --enable-languages=sample_fe
> when I call make, I get this errors:

Generally, you should follow the install instructions on
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/ and NOT call configure from the source
directory, but from a separated build directory.

> make
> ...build/gengtype.o build/gengtype-lex.o build/gengtype-yacc.o \
> build/errors.o ../build-i686-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty/libiberty.a
> build/gengtype
> /home/charfi/Desktop/gcc-4.1.0/gcc/sample_fe/sfe1.c:24: stray GTY marker
> make[2]: *** [s-gtype] Erreur 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/charfi/Desktop/gcc-obj/gcc'
> make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Erreur 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/charfi/Desktop/gcc-obj'
> make: *** [all] Erreur 2
>
> I think it is reltaed with GTY and gengtype but I do not realy understand
> how to correct it.

Yes, I think that as well. You could possibly fix this by changing line 24
of sfe1.c

from

struct GTY(()) lang_identifier

struct lang_identifier GTY(())

But, I'm not totally sure if this version of sample_fe will work anyway
with your version, because I just tested it with 4.4.x and you seem to
compile a 4.1.0 version. If you for some reason require to use 4.1.0, then
please continue trying and let me know if you face further problems.
Otherwise, I would recommend using a 4.4.x. I'll upload a 4.5.0-based
version this weekend, so that you could also use gcc-4.5.0 for your
experiments.

I'll update the web page with a modified version ...

Best regards,
Andi