[Gimple] look for gcc command to start compiling from GIMPLE

Diego Novillo dnovillo@google.com
Fri Jan 29 14:08:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 04:47, charfi asma <charfiasma@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> What about using -x options ?

That won't work, sorry.  The support for parsing a text representation
of gimple has just not been implemented yet.

> another alternative is to proceed just like  we want to add a Gimple GCC front. end.  I red
> that building a GCC front end for any langauge we choose is not a tricky task.

It's easier than it used to be, yes.

> From your experience handling those forms, can you tell me, are those alternatives feasible
> or I am trying to invent sth wrong and not interesting at all (cause I think it is a good idea if
> gcc users can chose the input file they want and tell compiler where to start:. just like -E -s
> and -c that tell compiler where to stop).

I think your idea is feasible and I encourage you to pursue it.  The
ability to parse gimple and start/stop the compiler at arbitrary
points of the compilation pipeline will bring many benefits (testing,
maintenance, etc).

It is not a simple project, however.  If you are interested, let me know.

Diego.