Struggling with conversion to AMD64/Linux syscalls in inline asm

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz@student.HTW-Berlin.de
Mon Jan 25 09:35:00 GMT 2010


Am 24.01.2010 15:51, schrieb me:
> I'm trying to convert some 32 bit linked asm (which runs fine)
> into 64 bit inline asm (g++) but am stumbling at the first hurdle
> ie I'm getting -14 returned as the file descriptor for /dev/vcsa1.
>
> Here's my attempt.
>
> [code]
> //My amd64 inline asm version
> #include<iostream>
> using namespace std;
>
> void my_fn(){
>     const char * fl =       "/dev/vcsa1";
>     const char * test_str = "          "; //make same size as fl
>     int test_int = -1; //ie initialised to fail unless replaced by value
>
>     //1 open /dev/vcsa1&  return file descriptor in rax
>     __asm__ __volatile__(
>     ".equ sys_open, 2\n"
>     ".equ O_RDWR, 02\n"
>     "mov $sys_open, %%rax\n"
>     "mov $O_RDWR, %%rcx\n"
>     "mov $0600, %%rdx\n" //read/write for user in x86. Not sure for AMD64?
>     "syscall\n"
>     :"=b"(test_str), "=a"(test_int)
>     :"b"(fl)
>     );
>
>     //test file name in rbx and returned file descriptor
>     cout<<  test_str<<  endl; // /dev/vcsa1                     pass
>     cout<<  test_int<<  endl; // 2 before syscall -14 after ie  fail
> }
>
> int main(){
>     my_fn();
>     return 0;
> }
> [/code]
>
> I'd be grateful if someone could tell me where I'm going wrong.
>
>    

Didn't the syscall numbers change in 64bit? I'm not sure.

Best regards.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list