adding new instruction to binary

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Fri Jan 22 15:58:00 GMT 2010

Fahimeh Yazdanpanah <fahim_yazdan@yahoo.com> writes:

> I need to introduce several new instructions to binary (or
> maybe to c/c++ code)of the benchmark which are distinguishable
> for simulator, but I do not know how to do that.
>
> In fact my problem is to introducing the new instructions to gcc or maybe one way to distinguish the new instruction from existing instruction and compile the code. Would you please let me know if you
> have any idea or guidance for it?

You should start by reading the gcc internals manual.  It's pretty
good on generating instructions.  And of course there are many
existing examples in the gcc source code.

Basically you have to add entries to your config/CPU/CPU.md file.  You
didn't say what these new instructions are or when the compiler should
generate them, so it's hard to say anything else.

Ian