Want To Know Information On Benchmarking A Compiler

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Fri Jan 15 15:58:00 GMT 2010

Prashant Purohit <prashantpurohit025@gmail.com> writes:

>        I have completed to port a GCC on a new target and wants to know how
> to benchmark the ported compiler.

Compiler benchmarks are a touchy subject.  I would say that the
standard benchmark is SPEC, which you have to pay for.  There are
other commercial proprietary benchmarks such as EEMBC.  I don't know
of any good free compiler benchmark suite.

If you know the code that you are going to run, then a benchmark built
from that code will be a far more reliable guide to compiler
performance than any standard benchmark.

Ian