building cross compiler fails for target powerpc-linux-gnuspe

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@wippies.com
Fri Jan 22 11:25:00 GMT 2010

Kai Ruottu wrote:
> Németh Márton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to build a gcc cross compiler for target
>> powerpc-linux-gnuspe.
>> The binutils bulds without any problem but I'm not sure why building gcc
>> fails.
>>
> On the contrary your GCC build succeeded !  How else you could have
> 'xgcc', 'cc1', 'collect2' etc.
> which are just the GCC parts?
>> $ ../gcc-4.4.2/configure --target=powerpc-linux-gnuspe
>> --prefix=/home/nmarci/usr/local/gcc --disable-shared
>> --disable-threads --enable-languages=c
>> $ make
>>

> The 'make' means 'make all', the default "GCC build" doesn't mean the
> same as 'make all-gcc' !
>> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
>> `/usr/src/gcc-build/powerpc-linux-gnuspe/libgcc':
>>

> The 'libgcc' is the GCC helper library built for the $target USING the
> "ready-to-run" new GCC.
> So you have your new GCC ready and can use it to compile all kind of
> things like a Linux kernel
> and here the 'libgcc' library!

Unclearly told...  The right words would have been: "can TRY TO use it
to compile all kind of things
like a Linux kernel and here the 'libgcc' library".   It has taken years
since I last compiled a Linux
kernel but I assume it not requiring a 'libgcc' for the target system.
Producing 'libgcc' however needs
the standard C headers for the target Linux system....   The
'include/asm*' and 'include/linux', the
"kernel headers", should be enough when producing a Linux kernel, it is
assumed (by me) to not
require anything from 'libgcc' like "soft-float" routines for a CPU
without a FPU...