--target= for building gcc cross-compiler?
Németh Márton
nm127@freemail.hu
Fri Jan 22 07:26:00 GMT 2010
Kai Ruottu wrote:
> Németh Márton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to buld a gcc cross compiler for Freescale MPC5554 [1][2] and for
>> Freescale MPC5534 [3][4]. These are PowerPC based processors with e200z6 and
>> e200z3 core respectively.
>>
>> The goal would be to compile Linux kernel for these processors using the cross
>> compiler.
>>
>> I don't really know how to find out the proper --target= setting for binutils
>> and gcc build. I found "powerpc" and "ppc" on different home pages. I also
>> found on some pages to add "-elf" also. I also found a list on page
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html but I'm not sure what to use.
>>
>> I also tried ../gcc-4.4.2/configure --target=help without success.
>>
>> Is there any description where I can find out the right --target= setting?
>>
> Only the 'e500' type and AltiVec type cores seem to require a special
> target type, 'powerpc-*spe*' and
> 'powerpc-*altivec*'. But the base template for your target name would
> be 'powerpc-*linux*' because
> you are going to compile a Linux kernel with it. These two special e500
> and AltiVec variations would
> require you to use either the 'powerpc-*linux-gnuspe' or
> 'powerpc-*linux-gnualtivec' target name, the
> rest would be handled with the usual 'powerpc-*linux-gnu' target name.
Thanks for the answer. My question which remains is that how could you
find out this? Is there a documentation somewhere which I haven't found
or have you used the source code to find out the possible target names?
> Some PPC specialist could tell if the 'e200z*' cores are those 'e500'
> type cores and therefore needing
> a target name like 'powerpc-linux-gnuspe' - no "custom" name for the
> vendor like "marton", in your
> case a target name like 'powerpc-marton-linux-gnuspe' could be possible....
>
> I would guess the usual 'powerpc-linux-gnu' or
> 'powerpc-marton-linux-gnu' (you want to emphasize that
> this is YOUR self-made GCC for YOUR self-made Linux) would suit to your
> purpose. The produced
> GCC would be capable to produce code for any CPU-variation the usual
> type without 'spe' or 'altivec'
> supports, using the '-mcpu=something' etc. options.
>
> The 'gcc/config/rs6000/rs6000.h' lists the possible '-mcpu=' variations
> but among them there is nothing
> like 'e200', only 'e300' and 'e500' :( At least with gcc-4.4.x ....
>
>
>
>
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list