How can I avoid the dreaded "cannot compute suffix of object files"?

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby@onetel.net
Thu Feb 11 22:53:00 GMT 2010

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> 3) What could be wrong with my setting of LD_OPTIONS of:
>
> LD_OPTIONS=-R/usr/local/gcc-4.3.4/lib -L/usr/local/gcc-4.3.4/lib

Actually, I can see what is wrong. I transposed the last two digits - it should
have been gcc-4.4.3, not 4.3.4

I know I made that mistake in a previous posting, but I thought it was a typo.
This time I know I it was not. That could explain it.

I'd still like to know how you manage to get both 32 and 64-bit versions of gmp
and mpfr.

Dave