Why is gcc going to default to "GNU dialect of ISO C99?"

Alexey Salmin alexey.salmin@gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:58:00 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:43 PM, John (Eljay) Love-Jensen
<eljay@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
>> It's not ANSI C compliant.
>
> It's ISO C 1999 compliant.
>
>> And since GNU89 is default for C code...
>
> GNU99 is default of C code, with my GCC (4.0).
>
> I am not sure which GCC version switched from GNU89 to GNU99.
>
> I would expect a GCC of 2005 vintage (e.g., GCC 4.0) to compile C99 code.
>
> Sincerely,
> --Eljay

If you read the mail in the beginning of this thread you'll see that
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C-Dialect-Options
says:
`gnu89'
    GNU dialect of ISO C90 (including some C99 features). (!) This is
the default for C code. (!)
`gnu99'
`gnu9x'
    GNU dialect of ISO C99. When ISO C99 is fully implemented in GCC,
this (!) will become the default (!). The name `gnu9x' is deprecated.

Same info is in my gcc doc (4.4.2, from Debain Sid)

BUT: WHATEVER! I was trying to tell you a funny story, nothing more.
Don't waste your time trying to find there some fundamental statements
or something.

Alexey