Why is gcc going to default to "GNU dialect of ISO C99?"

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby@onetel.net
Wed Feb 10 19:25:00 GMT 2010

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    I thought gcc's primary aim was to be a *C* compiler. That would
>    suggest to me that enabling GNU extensions should not be the
>    default, but an option.
>
> That is one of the goals, another goal is GCC is the compiler for the
> GNU system and its variant where we wish to make life easier for
> hackers by providing useful features, that might not be standard.
>
> You can usually work around these problems by calling c99/c89 instead
> of calling gcc.

I can't see how hackers can find it too hard to add an option, such as
-allow-GNU-extensions, so they, and anyone reading the code, are well aware they
are not writing C code, but some non-portable variant of it.

In contrast, permitting the extensions by default will lead people to be believe
they are writing C code, whereas in fact they are not.

Dave