ld: fatal: file .libs/libglib-2.0.exp: unknown file type

Laviticus Stone laviticus@tptp.cc
Thu Dec 2 03:35:00 GMT 2010

On 12/ 1/10 08:07 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Laviticus Stone<laviticus@tptp.cc>  writes:
>
>>   I'm trying to compile glib-2 from netbsd pkgsrc on solaris and
>> receive this error. I don't understand why it says unknown file type
>> when the ld man page says that the file option to
>> --retain-symbols-file is supposed to just be a flat file. Please help!
>
>> -Wl,-retain-symbols-file -Wl,.libs/libglib-2.0.exp -o
>> .libs/libglib-2.0.so.0.2600.1
>> ld: fatal: file .libs/libglib-2.0.exp: unknown file type
>> ld: fatal: file processing errors. No output written to
>> .libs/libglib-2.0.so.0.2600.1
>
> These errors do not appear to be coming from the GNU linker.  I suspect
> that you are using the Solaris linker, and I suspect that it is
> interpreting -retain-symbols-file as -r -e etain-symbols-file and then
> treating .libs/libglib-2.0.exp as an input file.
>
> If you want to use -retain-symbols-file, you need to use the GNU linker,
> not the Solaris linker.
>
> Ian

Ah you are correct. I had that issue in the past although at a different
point in compilation, it had seemed with the current pkgsrc from netbsd
and current Solaris 11 I had bypassed the issue. a type -P ld or which
ld shows it as /usr/gnu/bin/ld although the pkgsrc bootstrap must have
picked up on /usr/bin/ld somehow. I'll have to debug that.

Thanks.