Vector parameter loads to SSE registers

Miles Bader miles@gnu.org
Wed Dec 15 05:18:00 GMT 2010

Tim Prince <n8tm@aol.com> writes:
> You would require  _attribute__(aligned) and similar gcc extensions to
> inform the compiler about alignments so as to enable more use of aligned
> instructions.  Without those, it's not practical to auto-vectorize short
> loops, except by explicit low-level coding (e.g. sse intrinsics).  In
> any case, a loop of trip 9 might not be efficiently vectorizable.

The problem I had when I played with this sort of thing before, was not
gcc, but libc, which doesn't align general allocations enough for SSE
(and I gather the libc devs have no intention of adding such a feature),
so one needs to jump through a lot of hoops to make sure heap-allocated
stuff is aligned properly.  It seemed like a big pain ...

-Miles

--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.