Bug in Build System of gcc-4.5.1? Cannot Find libmpc.so.2

Tom Browder tom.browder@gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 14:49:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 07:26, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/27/2010 01:18 PM, Tom Browder wrote:

>> But shouldn't gcc's build system work as advertised?  Otherwise, what
>> good are those options to pass flags to the various stages?
>
> You'd still have to include the libraries in your runtime path when
> you use gcc, even if gcc did some LD_LIBRARY_PATH heroics at build
> time.
>
> The rule is really simple: for any libraries you build, if they are to
> be used, you have to tell ld.so how to find them.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
> ld.so.conf, whatever.

Okay, so I need to ensure LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or ld.so.conf) oint to gmp,
mpfr, and ppc.

So, again, why these gcc.gnu.org instructions (and what good are the
'--with=*' options):

MPC Library version 0.8.1 (or later)
    Necessary to build GCC. It can be downloaded from
http://www.multiprecision.org/. The --with-mpc configure option should
be used if your MPC Library is not installed in your default library
search path. See also --with-mpc-lib and --with-mpc-include.
Alternatively, if an MPC source distribution is found in a
subdirectory of your GCC sources named mpc, it will be built together
with GCC.

Regards,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.