Need help in debugging the unbuilt compiler

Manuel López-Ibáñez lopezibanez@gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 23:06:00 GMT 2010

On 24 April 2010 13:37, Andi Hellmund <mail@andihellmund.com> wrote:
>> I have made some changes in the source code of the compiler. But,
>> while building the compiler, it shows an error saying "conftest.c:
>> cannot compute suffix for object files".
>> To understand where I am wrong I have installed debugging tools like
>> "Valgrind" and "ddd". But when I try to debug the conftest.c file I
>> find that the compiler deletes the conftest.* files when it gets an
>> error.
>
> The conftest.c error occurs as part of the GCC configure process. The
> configure script uses small programs to check for certain features of the
> compiler and runtime environment.
>
> Please check out this link from the Wiki-FAQ
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure_suffix which explains how-to proceed
> further.
>
> As a quick summary: you must check the config.log file in the appropriate
> directory and there you should find the content of the conftest.c (at least
> with newer versions) which failed including the error message of the test
> compilation.

Andi, if you feel the need to add explanations before giving the link,
probably the link is not giving enough information. Could you instead
add these explanations to the wiki so in the future we can just say:

Please, see http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#configure_suffix

The goal of the FAQ should be (1) to save time and (2) to have a
standard and correct answer.

Cheers,

Manuel.