question on 64-bit compilation options

Tim Prince n8tm@aol.com
Mon Apr 5 19:27:00 GMT 2010

On 4/5/2010 9:12 AM, kiran kumar wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> My apps run in 32-bit mode on Linux in a i586 machine (intel arch). I am planning to go from 32-bit processes to 64-bit processes.
> My gcc version is provided by Wind River Linux and its' version is 4.1.2.
>
> I have below questions. Could not get answer in the on line docs I referred to at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/.
>
> 1. if there is an option that does error checking, of long to int  OR pointer to int assignments only. just want to get porting errors since it will be LP64.
>
> 2. I did not find an option in "Intel 386 and AMD x86-64 Options" to specify the size of long to be 4 bytes so that my apps gets compiled as long of 4 bytes than 8 bytes when compile to 64bit. This option seems to be there for MIPS. Is there some thing I am missing.
>

> regards
> Kiran

Not much point in discussing details of options if you don't intend to
use a current public version.  If you are supported by someone else, ask
them.    There is a section about request or suppress warnings in the
manuals you mention.
There isn't generally an option to control the size of long.  long does
switch automatically according to the 32- or 64-bit compile target.

--
Tim Prince