Trouble building GCC

Marc Glisse marc.glisse+gcc@normalesup.org
Fri Apr 16 23:58:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Uri Moszkowicz wrote:

> What I don't understand is that libmpc.so.2 is in the provided --with-mpc
> path yet configure isn't passing it in to the test program. The build passes
> by the way if I add the lib directories of all those --with arguments to
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH but then produced executables require the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> continue to be set.

Runtime path is something gcc doesn't seem to know anything about. When
you install gcc in a non-standard location, it won't tell the programs it
builds where they can find libgcc_s.so.1. Even bootstrapping itself, it
won't tell its next iteration where to find libmpc.so.2. The easiest
solution is to use static versions of gmp/mpfr/mpc so there is no library
to search for at runtime (this is what happens when you let the gcc build
process compile gmp/mpfr/mpc for you). Otherwise, you can use
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or put the libraries in /usr/local/lib (assuming it is
searched by default) or setup ld.so.conf so it looks in the right places,
or use LDFLAGS (BOOT_LDFLAGS?) to pass a -rpath option to the linker.