profiling the compilation process itself

Alex Flint alex.flint@gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 11:19:00 GMT 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to reduce compilation times (aren't we all?) and I would
like to know what is taking up time. I would like to find out where
time is being spent for a particular compilation, in terms of which
bits of the lexer/parser/semantic check/template expansion/etc process
are taking up how much time. Is there any recommended way to do this?

Note that I don't want to profile the binary that is output from gcc
-- I want to look at what's taking up compilation time itself. Also, I
want to look within a single compilation task (i.e. a single execution
of gcc at the command line).

Any help much appreciated!
Alex Flint