crt0.o and _start symbol

Bahadir Balban bahadir.balban@gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 13:03:00 GMT 2009


On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Bahadir Balban <bahadir.balban@gmail.com> writes:
>> If I explicitly include crt0.o in the program link, then it works OK.
>> Any reason why I can't get this symbol by directly linking with the C
>> library archive?
>
> This is a question about the GNU binutils, not about gcc.  I recommend
> taking any followup to binutils@sourceware.org.  See
> http://sourceware.org/binutils/ .
>
> The answer is that -e does not imply -u, although that is likely to
> change in the next binutils release.  Most systems link against crt0.o
> explicitly.
>
> Ian
>

Ian,

Thank you for your reply. This quickly and simply remedied my problem.

I have an opinion here that you may not agree but; questions like this
are indeed about the binutils, and in theory are supposed to go to the
binutils list. In practice though, that is a developer list, it's not
really a binutils-users list. As a consequence user questions like
this disappear into the void. There hasn't been a _way out_ for the
past years for me, so very reservedly and rarely I ask questions here,
and mostly just not ask and spend time to figure out on my own.


Thanks,

Bahadir



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list