How to compile and install only one compile in GCC?

John (Eljay) Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Wed Sep 2 18:14:00 GMT 2009

Hi Peng Yu,

>> See the documentation for a fuller list:
>>
>>    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
>
> ./configure --enable-languages='c java' --prefix=mydir
> make -j6
>
> But I get the following error after I run the second command ('make
> -j6'). Can somebody let me what the problem is?

You should read this information:

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

"""
We highly recommend against dirname being the same or a subdirectory of
objdir or vice versa.
"""

I have never had any luck with ./configure working for me, with GCC.

I always use a build directory, which is peer to the gcc source directory:
cd /home/eljay/gcc
mkdir build
cd build
../gcc-4.3.4/configure --enable-languages='c'
make -j6

HTH,
--Eljay