Compiling GCC 4.4.1 for a new "linux distro"

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 09:17:00 GMT 2009

Pieter De Wit wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Pieter De Wit wrote:
>>

>>> I saw that but I can't find where/how to change it. Everything under
>>> root_fs/64bit and temp_build is ran as the current user as well as
>>> created by the current user :(
>>>
>>> I even build "off the source" directory as suggested ?
>>>
>>> I am going to try a temp_build/source and temp_build/build option now.
>>>

>> Run that single command by hand and see what happens.
>>
>> Andrew.
>>

> <snip>
>
> Yip - doing that now - I got better results (but I am sure it "would"
> have failed - didn't have any command lines. Came across the
> "CFLAGS=-m64" error so I am now including that in my build script to see
> where this goes....compile machine compile ! :D

Ahhh, I think I know what is going on.  There's a silly bug in Debian-
derived distros where on amd64 64-bit libraries are placed in /lib instead
of /lib64.  Debian has patched versions of gcc, libc, etc.

Andrew.