"uninitialized variable" warning from compiler
Umashankar V.K.
shankar.vk@gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 14:06:00 GMT 2009
Hi,
I have few questions about inbuilt mechanism of gcc/g++ for
warning about uninitialized variable.
I am interested in cases where compiler is unable to warn. I am
aware that all the known bugs about warning-failure are
mentioned at bugzilla http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=24639
a) The compiler activates the warning mechanism only if optimisation
is enabled at compilation time with -O option.
For all the bugs that I went through at bugzilla, the failure is not
-O level dependent. The warning-failure occurs for all levels of
optimisation.
So, I believe this is the general case.
But then I came across the following failure case. This one fails
to warn when compiled with any level below 3.
With -O3, gcc is able to warn. Can someone tell me which is the
corresponding bug logged at bugzilla ?
Are there any more such bugs which disappear when compiled with
specific -O level ?
b) Are there any known "fail to do uninitialised-warning" gcc bugs
which are language-dependent ? I mean bugs which occur only in C++ ,
but not in C.
( Bugs which arise out of C++ language features/syntax. ) . If so,
I would like to know.
thanks for your time
Uma shankar
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list