Trouble building 4.4.2 cross compiler for arm-elf target

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz@student.HTW-Berlin.de
Thu Nov 19 14:05:00 GMT 2009


Am 19.11.2009 14:58, schrieb Kai Ruottu:
> Tobias Ringström wrote:
>> I'm trying to build a GCC 4.4.2 cross compiler for an arm-elf target
>> (using binutils 2.19.1) on Fedora 12 x86_64 with the following
>> configure command:
>>
>> > ../gcc-4.4.2/configure --prefix=/opt/arm-elf-gcc-4.4.2 \
>>          --target=arm-elf --enable-languages=c --disable-libssp
>>
>> The configure command works fine, but running "make" fails with the
>> following error:
>>
>> > make
>>    ...
>>    checking for a 64-bit type... unsigned long long
>>    checking for pid_t... no
>>    checking for library containing strerror... configure: error: Link 
>> tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
>>    make[1]: *** [configure-target-libiberty] Error 1
>>    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tobias/src/gcc/build/arm-eabi/gcc'
>>    make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> I've successfully built many earlier versions (including 4.4.1) using
>> the same command line without any problems. I've searched the mailing
>> list and the web but not managed to find anything useful.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2009-10/msg00302.html :) I have that 
problem too.

> So you are doing something really wrong :(
>
> With your $target  most people use 'newlib' as the C library and if one
> uses that, producing the GCC should succeed without a pre-existing
> target C library.  Only installing the generic newlib headers or 
> building newlib
> with GCC (copying/symlinking 'newlib' and 'libgloss' from newlib srcs
> into the main GCC src dir) are required...  But then one must tell that
> via the '--with-newlib' option in GCC configure!
>

I think you're missunderstanding our problem. We aren't linking to a C 
library. gcc 4.4.2 just doesn't compile for a bare metal target (you 
need that in order to be able cross-compile a C library). I think that's 
really a bug, since 4.4.1 and 4.4.3 (i.e. latest revision in the 4.4 svn 
branch) both build fine.

Best regards.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list