libstdc issue

Koornstra, Reinoud koornstra@hp.com
Sat Mar 7 02:22:00 GMT 2009

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your answer.
Actually I tried to do it like this:

./configure --prefix= --exec-prefix= --enable-languages=c,c++

Hence, I would suspect after the make and make install it would have overwritten any library.
Also also have the gcc in /usr.
However, in ld.so.conf, first /bin is called so I would expect that always first /bin is being searched for any lib.
How to check what versions of gcc libs are installed?
Any hints on repairing this issue?
Kind Regards,

Reinoud.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lance Taylor [mailto:iant@google.com]
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 5:56 PM
To: Koornstra, Reinoud
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: libstdc issue

"Koornstra, Reinoud" <koornstra@hp.com> writes:

> I compiled gcc 4.1.2 and installed it.
> Compiled swig as well, however, upon starting it give me this:
>
> swig: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /lib/libstdc++.so.6)
>
> These libs come included in gcc and I cannot image that such an inconsistency would exist in the gcc source.
> Any hints how to resolve this?

gcc does not normally install libgcc_s.so.1 in /lib, so my guess is that
that file came from your OS, and your dynamic linker is finding it
before the libgcc_s.so.1 which was installed by gcc.  You could try
making it a symlink to the libgcc_s.so.1 which you installed.

Note that you can confuse systems by building and installing gcc into
system directories like /lib, overwriting the system libraries and
compilers.  It's often better to install gcc and use it elsewhere.

Ian