cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-overlength-strings"

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Fri Mar 20 14:42:00 GMT 2009

john blair <mailtome200420032002@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am trying to build gcc-4.2.4, and gcc-4.3.2 on 64 bit machine with gcc-4.1.2 to build them. For both of them make succeeds but while doing make install I get
>
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-overlength-strings"
>
> Any suggestions?

(We may have discussed this on IRC).

If running "make" at top level does not cause any recompilation, but
running "make install" at top level does, then something is wrong
somewhere.  Unfortunately I have no idea what it could be.  It implies
that some dependency expressed in the Makefile changes when you run
"make install".  I don't know how that could happen.

If I had a repeatable test case for this, I would start by running "make
-d install".  That will generate huge amounts of output, but buried in
there somewhere will be the reason that make considers the target to be
out of date.

Ian