installing GCC

dan hitt dan.hitt@gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 17:39:00 GMT 2009

Hi Robert,

I think the issue is that for somebody new to ubuntu, it is
very, very surprising that there's no compiler.  It certainly
was to me.

And the answer to your reasonable question can be either:
(1) that whoever is doing it does not yet know the
 command sequence
         sudo apt-get install gcc
(2) that whoever is doing it has a lousy internet connection, so
that these apt-get commands take so long they are not really
feasible.

(And even though this is getting afield from gcc, ubuntu is free
software, and it is popular, so it comes up.)

dan

dan