gcc 4.4.0: libstdc++.so has undef references to prior gcc versions

Marc Glisse marc.glisse@normalesup.org
Mon Jun 29 19:15:00 GMT 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Amitava Dutta wrote:

> I recently built GCC 4.4.0 on Solaris 2.10 / SPARC.
> The test results are here
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2009-05/msg02684.html
>
> The libstdc++.so that was built has many UNDEF references
> to symbols corresponding to prior versions of GCC.
>
> Why is that so and how do I correct that?

That is called symbol versioning and I think it is normal (although I
don't know in what cases gcc uses symbol versioning, I thought it was
only with the gnu linker).

> I'm trying to build GhostScript 8.64 using this compiler
> and encountered this error:
>
> /usr/local/gcc-4.4.0/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.4.0/../../../libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `_Unwind_GetIPInfo@GCC_4.2.0'

Which libgcc_s.so.1 got loaded when you had this error? It looks like the
kind of thing that might happen if you use a recent libstdc++ with an
older libgcc_s.

>        === libstdc++ Summary ===
>
> # of expected passes        5750
> # of unexpected successes    2