Byteswapping floating point types

Andrew Troschinetz ast@arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 16 21:14:00 GMT 2009


On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Andrew Troschinetz wrote:

> If I use GCC 2.95, or GCC 3.4.6 to compile the code and run it, the  
> problem presents itself. But if I use GCC 4.1.2 the code compiles  
> and runs just fine.

Scratch that. I'm an idiot for taking this guy's word. He was the one  
that ran these tests and reported back to me that everything works  
when the compiler is GCC 4.x. I just tried it myself and yup, the test  
fails in exactly the way we expect it to fail.

Ugh, at this point I'm really just disgusted with this guy.


On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:

> Can't he find a task more suited to his skills?  Farming, perhaps.

Can you believe he's my boss?

> No.  An attempt to load a signaling NaN from memory into the FPU  
> generates
> an invalid-operation exception.  If that exception is masked, the FPU
> returns a quiet NaN. [1]
>
> Andrew.
>
> [1] 8.5.1.2. INVALID ARITHMETIC OPERAND EXCEPTION (#IA), IA-32 Intel  
> Architecture
> Software Developer’s Manual, Basic Architecture, Order Number  
> 245470, 2001.

Awesome, I really appreciate it. However in the face of willful  
ignorance I doubt it will do me much good. Sigh.

--
Andrew Troschinetz
(512) 835-3410
Applied Research Laboratories



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list