compiler problems pt2

Andreas Tobler andreast-list@fgznet.ch
Fri Jan 2 19:39:00 GMT 2009

me22 wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:01, robert watson <reswatson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the replies. Compiling my code using:
>>
>> cd Desktop
>> g++ /home/robert/Desktop/test.c  # uses c++ compiler
>>
>> Instead of:
>>
>> cd Desktop
>> gcc /home/robert/Desktop/test.c  # uses c++ compiler
>>
>> Produced no errors, and an output file called 'a.out', so I guess that means g++ keeps tabs on the libraries better.
>>

> g++ links to the C++ library; gcc does not.
>
> I think you problem might be that you have C++ code in a .c file.
> (IIRC, gcc/g++ chooses the frontend based on the file extension.)  Try
> .cpp .cc .C or .cxx instead.

doesn't matter, at least for c vs. C, cpp:

[wolfram:~] andreast% cat hello2.c
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
   cout << "Hello World!\n";     // prints Hello World!
   cout << "I'm a C++ program\n"; // prints I'm a C++ program
   return 0;
}

[wolfram:~] andreast% g++ hello2.c
[wolfram:~] andreast% ./a.out
Hello World!
I'm a C++ program

better would be:

[wolfram:~] andreast% g++ -Wextra -Wall -o hello2 hello2.c
[wolfram:~] andreast% ./hello2
Hello World!
I'm a C++ program

Andreas