compiling gcc 4.3.2 on hpux 10.20: no target 'all'

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@wippies.com
Mon Jan 26 23:13:00 GMT 2009

omar_zakaria@agilent.com wrote:

> I'm trying to compile gcc 4.3.2 on hpux 10.20 (hppa1.1)
 > and I'm running into a frustrating problem. Initially,
 > compilation proceeds normally, but when the make process
 > reaches the gcc directory, it complains that there is
 > no rule to make target 'all' -- for some reason, there
 > is no makefile in the gcc directory, whereas there is
> one for the other targets like zlib and libcpp.
>
> I don't think my configure process is creating the
 > appropriate makefile, but not I'm sure how to force it
 > to do so.
>
> Here's how I called "configure" from my build directory:
>
> ./gcc_4_3_2_release/configure --prefix=$MY_INSTALL \
 > --build=hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 \

Ok, the $build system must not be "guessed" but what about
the $host and $target system ?  What does the command:

   ./config.guess

tell when run in the "gcc_4_3_2_release" main src directory?
Is the guessed system name among the "supported" in 'configure'?

> gmake[3]: Leaving directory `gcc_4_3_2_binaries/libdecnumber'
> gmake[3]: Entering directory `gcc_4_3_2_binaries/gcc'
> gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
>
> The listing for host-hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20/gcc is merely:
> config.cache  config.log  configargs.h

If there is no Makefile, maybe the reason is that your $target
system (guessed) wasn't known in the 'gcc/config.gcc'...

> Does anyone have an idea as to what's going on?

Just check the "guessed name" and if it is something odd, then
just tell what the $host and $target system are, like you told
the $build one :

--host=hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 --target=hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20

in the GCC configure...