Code Gen Plugins

Muhammed Fawzy mfawzymkh@hotmail.com
Tue Dec 22 21:46:00 GMT 2009


that is great,  I think this is what I need. thanks a lot 


--------------------------------------------------
From: "Ian Lance Taylor" <iant@google.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:34 AM
To: "Muhammed Fawzy" <mfawzymkh@hotmail.com>
Cc: <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Code Gen Plugins

> "Muhammed Fawzy" <mfawzymkh@hotmail.com> writes:
> 
>> That is great!, but is it possible that the plugin uses the same gcc
>> backend to emit the code, and only alter **part** of the instruction
>> stream?
>> I want to utilize the existing code, and only make a small change in
>> code generation.
> 
> Yes.  gcc generates code via a series of passes.  A plugin can insert
> a new pass.  That pass can adjust the instruction stream and pass it
> on to future passes.
> 
> Ian
> 
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> From: "Ian Lance Taylor" <iant@google.com>
>> Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:53 AM
>> To: "Muhammed Fawzy" <mfawzymkh@hotmail.com>
>> Cc: <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
>> Subject: Re: Code Gen Plugins
>>
>>> "Muhammed Fawzy" <mfawzymkh@hotmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>>>    I would like to know if  it is possible with GCC Plugins to write a
>>>> code gen plugin to modify certain things.
>>>> What I want to achieve is to use the gcc backend, but only change the
>>>> way callsites are generated,  so the plugin should fallback to use
>>>> gcc, and only works when gcc tries to emit code to call functions..
>>>>
>>>> is this something possible with gcc?
>>>
>>> If I understand you correctly, then the answer is yes.  A plugin can
>>> insert new compilation passes which can manipulate the instruction
>>> steam however you like.
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>
> 



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list